Sunday, December 10, 2006

Where to begin?


Why blog? Well, I think I have a lot to say, so let's see. If nothing else it'll be good therapy!

I would like to discuss Project Management, as non-interesting as it sounds, I find it very interesting. I consider it an extension of programming, with the focus on people. To me programming is like carpentry - except you don't bang your thumb physically, it's all about building something, hopefully something important and something you could be proud of.

There's a lot of different names around for different responsibilities in IT: Team Leads, Front End Developer, Database Admin, Database Developer, IA, QA, Business Analyst, etc., etc., etc. When I first got into IT, all I knew were programmers, and they did everything including crawling around under tiles stringing wires around. No matter what I've done, I've always considered myself a programmer....

But that really doesn't matter.

What I plan on focusing on, if I can, is the Project Management aspect of what I do.

What is my definition of PM? PM is the mitigation of RISK! It's all about risk!
Here's Wikipedia definition on Risk - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk

To me, Risk is what you confront to get work done. Life is about risk. Programming is about confronting risk while trying to develop a tool.

As Curly once said "Don't look know, but we're about to die"

No comments:

Post a Comment