Sunday, September 21, 2008

XP - my take


I recently read a post by Kent Beck in the ExtremeProgramming Yahoo group - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/extremeprogramming/message/145397 (you'll probably need to join to read the entire post - which I recommend). My take on it is that - like all other revolutions (this one being one of process from traditional SDLC to Agile/XP) - the new becomes the norm and the norm become bureaucratic - making further drastic changes required. I've always seen Agile and XP initiatives as an attempt to deliver greater value by removing the imposed management overhead and miss-steps (such as thinking mediocre can replace exceptional with the right process in place) - and, unfortunately now that many Agile/XP practices/processes have become the norm, they are now the anchor....just my opinion.
Responsible Development is the style of development I aspire to now. It can be summarized by answering the question, "How would I develop if it was my money?" I'm amazed how many theoretical arguments evaporate when faced with this question. Responsible Development shares many practices with XP but the roots are different. Responsible Development's values are honesty, transparency, accountability, and responsibility. These lead me to pairing, test-first, incremental design, continuous integration, and so on because they support the values. - Kent Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment