Thursday, December 20, 2007

Back to Excel

Starting a new project, to get out a plan quickly I used MS Project (I really find the entry easy, but the program itself is useless.....why?). MS Project, I find, is easy to use for initial entry and then drags you down with every other step.......when I do try to use it, I spend more time updating/maintaining it then working on the project.....OKAY - enough complaining. I've used other tools, mostly web based, including QuickBooks, etc. (see comparison)...but at the end of the day I'm back to MS Excel (no, not even Google Docs). You don't have the comforting tree view, but the entry, ease of update, ability to add uniqueness at any level and ability to display multi-dimensional data is just plain amazing. I still remember when Lotus 1-2-3 first come out...the simplicity, data depth, etc. was there from the start. I guess in some way this relates back the the prior post about Domain Driven Design - the PM tools are accurate, but wrong....anyone up for a deep PM tool discussion and perhaps development effort?

No comments:

Post a Comment