Wednesday, January 2, 2008

OpenSUSE!


Not sure why, but I got the urge to try another Linux distribution...a toss up between openSUSE and Fedora. After some quick research (Wikipedia Linux comparison to start with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions) I selected openSUSE...what a pleasant surprise. I thought Ubuntu was a clean install and easy to use...openSUSE takes it one step further...the install does not distinguish between workstation and server installs via unique download cd images (Ubuntu does)...so it's a bit longer, but clean. After the initial download and destroy (I like to see how far I can take the OS until it breaks.....) the final clean one took about 1 hour and the end result was a fast, clean running OS with all the standard tools (via Gnome) and a complete LAMP install including MySQL Admin tools!

A Windows killer? perhaps....I would vote for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment